Skip to content


  • You need to the Application For Boat Driving License” form section 6 signed off. You get this by attending the course with Marine Rescue Lake Macquarie and passing the exam.
  • You need your practical log book signed off. We can provide logbooks when you come to the course or you can download it from Roads and Maritime Services here.
  • Take both the Form and your filled-out Practical Logbook to Service NSW and pay the fee.

  • You need a General Boat Licence
  • Attend the PWC course with Marine Rescue Lake Macquarie and pass the knowledge test. We provide a short course with test every month. After you’ve passed the test you get 2 forms signed off and you take these to Service NSW.

There is no practical element for the PWC licence.

No. A Personal Water Craft or jetksi is still a vessel that must adhere to all the boating rules and regulations, therefore you need a General Boat Licence to get the PWC Licence.

You can choose to do the General Boat Licence course with Marine Rescue Lake Macquarie first and then book into the PWC course the following week. You don't need to go to Service NSW to get your boat licence card, you can simply attend both courses with us.

You can get a boat or PWC licence from 12 years of age. There are some restrictions on young people under 16. You can find that information here.

When a young person comes to our General Boat Licence or PWC course, make sure that young person has a guardian with them to sign the form. The guardian also needs to bring proof of ID.

If the guardian isn't doing the course themselves, they are welcome to sit in or they can pick up the young person after the exam.

There are two options to get your log book signed off:

  1. With a skipper who has held a General Boat Licence for at least 3 years
  2. With a commercial provider.

You can find more details here.

Yes, as long as you do apply for your licence with Service NSW within 12 months of signing off your logbook.

The courses are held at our Headquarters at Swansea Heads on the ground floor. You can find a map and the address here.

You can call us on (02) 4972 7400 or use the contact form. The contact form sends your message directly to the boat licensing team.

A NSW Driver's Licence or Photo Card is the most commonly used ID. For young people under 16, a birth certificate and school ID are acceptable.

If you want to check other ID options, please check here for all the information.

If you need special accommodations or someone to help you read the exam, please contact us and let us know what you need. We will do our best to help you get on the water!

You can book in for our courses here. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select your date.

You can cancel or move your booking until 24 hours before the course. Instructions are in the confirmation email you received upon booking.

Yes, you can! If you have a group of 8 or more people that want to get their General Boat Licence or PWC Licence, please get in touch so we can make arrangements.